Pet Travel

Home/ Our Services/ Pet Travel

Taking Your Pet Abroad

We are currently unable to process travel documents, we apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. We’ll review this pause to our service in October.

The rules around travelling abroad with your dog, cat or ferret have now changed and pet passports issued in the UK are no longer valid. New documentation is required for each trip your pet makes and be warned, it is costly. It can be confusing too, as non-EU countries have their own individual requirements, for example, some ask for your pet to be vaccinated against rabies, while others don’t.

The website provides general guidance on the two main documents that have replaced the Pet Passport for travel to the EU, ie the Animal Health Certificate (AHC) and the Export Health Certificate (EHC). The UK’s Animal Plant and Health Agency (APHA) can advise you on non-EU country requirements and will help you through the application process if applicable.

If you have a Pet Passport that was issued by an EU country, or in Northern Ireland, you can travel as before and do not need new documentation.

Please be aware that it is your responsibility to check before you travel for the documentation needed for your destination and to ensure that you apply for it within the required timescales.

It’s £258 (inc VAT) for one of our Official Veterinarians or OVs to provide you with an Animal Health Certificate or Export Health Certificate.

Animal Health Certificates (AHC)

If you are travelling with your pet or within five days of its departure to an EU country or Northern Ireland, you will probably need an AHC. Only OVs can issue these certificates and they must be issued within 10 days of your departure date. Once issued the certificate lasts for four months. The AHC requires that your pet must have been vaccinated for rabies, you must wait 21 days after this before you can travel.

If you’d like to apply for an animal health certificate, then please contact our reception team who will talk through the details of your trip. Please have your route and destination address to hand, you may be asked to email these details to us to help us prepare your documentation. A lot of preparatory work is needed to be done before an appointment can be made, but we will call to let you know how the process is progressing.

The Export Health Certificate (EHC)

If you’re planning on travelling five days earlier or later than your pet to an EU country, you may need an Export Health Certificate or EHC to travel. You can check this with the APHA Centre for International Trade in Carlisle, by calling them on 03000 200 301 or email [email protected] with details of your trip. They will explain how an EHC works.

To be issued with an EHC you will need to nominate an OV or official vet, like Coastway Vets, to check the EHC’s details against your pet’s health record and identification requirements. Once we receive the EHC, it will be completed and given to you 48 hours prior to your pet’s departure.

Non EU Countries – the Export Certificate (EC)

If you are travelling to a non-EU country you should contact the APHA Centre for International Trade who will help you with this. You might also like to contact that country’s embassy. Most countries are signed up to export agreements that are laid out in a government produced Export Certificate.
Each country has different requirements and timescales for preparation of the paperwork. The airline that you’re travelling with may also be able to help you and pet transport companies, if you’re using one, will have up to date details.

Again, you’ll need to nominate an OV like Coastway Vets to check your pet’s details and issue the certificate ready for your travel.

An Export Certificate costs £151.20 + VAT.

Take the Tour

Take a 360-tour around Coastway Kemp Town, which offers some of the newest state-of-the-art facilities found in veterinary surgeries Brighton wide.

Take the tour
We’ve made the difficult decision to pause the registration of new clients for all of our surgeries. The pandemic has meant that we have waiting lists for...
Read More
We are now able to welcome clients back into all our surgeries. There are different visiting protocols for each branch, which will be explained to you by...
Read More

Get in touch

Ready to register with us? Complete our online form and one of our team will review your details and email you a confirmation once you are registered, they'll also contact you if they have any queries. If you'd rather speak to someone about registering, pop into your local surgery and our friendly reception staff will be happy to complete your registration for you.

To keep up to date with our services and veterinary news, we recommend you follow us on Facebook and sign up to our newsletter too.